9th July 2019
Founded in 1978, Clark Contracts Ltd is a privately owned main contractor with six operating divisions; Construction, Fit Out, Small Works, Retail, Maintenance and Manufactured Joinery. The company works throughout the UK, employing over 250 employees with offices in the East and West of Scotland.
Due to continued growth we are now looking to recruit an experienced Design Manager to join the organisation.
Role & Responsibilities
The main duties will include but not be limited to:
- Taking a leadership role in the management of the design process in our Design & Build Projects, ensuring different members of the design team produce the correct information complying with the programme and avoiding design clashes.
- Manage the design team, the design development process and liaise with other departments and project teams within the company in respect to design requirements.
- Ensure that design work undertaken is carried out in accordance with company procedures and that a high level of professionalism is maintained.
- Co-ordinate the whole design process and work closely with the client, employer’s representatives, design team and legislative bodies.
- Production of appointment documents, chairing design team meetings and detail design workshops, prepare project reports, sample schedules and management of the Information Release Schedule (IRS).
- Maintain a professional approach with clients and their teams, sub-contractors and suppliers.
- Working with our project delivery teams to reduce costs, delays and disruption on site.
- Liaising with Statutory Authorities to ensure the design process recognises current legislation, standards and codes of practice.
- Reviewing design drawings form internal and external design consultants to evaluate most effective design method and concepts.
- Researching new products and most effective construction methods.
- Demonstrate a commercial awareness of working within budgets, including project and product cost constraints, traceability of commercial variations and recovery of additional costs.
- Managing the design to achieve given environmental accreditations e.g. BREEAM where appropriate.
- Adhere to Health and safety policies, according to Company procedures
The ideal candidate will have:
- Previous experience working in a Design Manager for a Main Contractor, sub- contractor or have an architectural or engineering background.
- The ability to manage a design team and lead meetings with external and internal members of the team.
- Pre and Post Contract experience in Design Management.
- Proven track record of Risk Management and Value Engineering
- Experience working in Design & Build projects.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral.
- Logical and well organised with ability to prioritise
- Efficient in the use of design software and Microsoft Office Suite
- BIM experience preferred.
- Strong IT skills.
- The ability to work alone and in a team within a fast paced environment.
- A full understanding of relevant and current construction legislation, regulation, codes of practice and guidelines.
This is a full time, permanent position and it will be based at our head office in Paisley. For more information please contact our Recruitment Team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates who apply for this role will have their data stored for the purposes of the recruitment process. The storage of your data complies with The General Data Protection Regulation. Full details of what is stored and how can be found in our Recruitment Privacy Notice.